We highly recommend that individuals interested in applying for the designation should always refer to the Approved Supervisor Designation Standards Handbook that details the entire process of earning and maintaining the Approved Supervisor designation and also contains the required forms and applications. Go to www.aamft.org and under the “ENHANCE Knowledge” tab, select Approved Supervisor Resources.
The detailed training requirements are outlined on page 11 in section one of the handbook. Below is a just a brief summary of the training requirements.
• Maintain your AAMFT membership throughout the training
• Acquire a minimum of 18 months of supervision training
• Provide a minimum of 180 hours of MFT supervision, supervise at least two supervisees of sufficient time throughout the training period
• Accrue a minimum of 36 hours of mentoring from your AAMFT Approved Supervisor mentor.
• Complete a 30-hour AAMFT offered Fundamentals of Supervision course.